Monday, June 18, 2007

Ashes and Snow

I'm finding it a bit difficult to pin down my exact feelings on the"Ashes and Snow" exhibit by Gregory Colbert. I think it may be best to share with you the artist's statement before getting into my own feelings.

"In exploring the shared language and poetic sensibilities of all animals, I am working towards rediscovering the common ground that once existed when people lived in harmony with animals. The images depict a world that is without beginning or end, here or there, past or present."

Sounds a little pretentious. That pretty much sums up my feelings on the exhibit.

Sure, most of the photography was extrememly beautiful as was much of the video, yet I couldn't shake the feeling that it was put on display in uch a manner as to suggest that this was the best art created, ever. I think that the artist was attempting to move his audience to appreciate human relationship and interaction with nature and animals, however he failed in my opinion. I feel that I would have been much more impressed had the pictures not been staged. I felt that the posing of the animals in relation to the human subjects ruined the artists goal from his artist statement. It felt staged and therefore fake.

I also felt that there was a bit too much of an underlying amount of sexuality between the human and animal subjects which frankly, I didn't really understand. Perhaps this was supposed to represent the "shared language" and "harmony" that we humans once shared with nature. I'm not really sure why this was.

All in all it seemed a bit over dramatic of an exhibit. DOn't get me wrong, I did like much of what I saw and the entire collection was put together quite well, with the matching music and ambiance. I guess that maybe what I'm getting at is that it seemed to be commercialized art. Too much money was behind it and for that the artist has lost much of his integrity. I don't find it to be art anymore when you step out of the exhibit to be presented with a shop full of overpriced prints, posters, bookmarks, phone danglers, and postcards. I mean, come on, 7,000 yen for a poster? Give me a break.

No comments: