Sunday, July 22, 2007

Project done

So the final projects went up the other day. They are on display at an art house in Harajuku. I can't even begin to describe how many problems I had with mine at the last minute!

Originally I had intended to make a project that isolated all the train station songs along the Yamanote. From there I wanted to put the sounds on a Google map along with the course that the Yamanote went along. You'd be able to simply click on a station, find out what it is, and then hear the song. Well, recording the songs became quite troublesome when I found that many times they are drowned out by the noise or simply not being played. So instead I opted to make the project display what a typical stop at each station sounded like it. If the song was there, great. If not, it still had a unique enough ambiance. Then I started working with iDVD in another class. I found that the program would work well with my own project so I scrapped the Google map in favor of creating a DVD that was interactive. I compiled all the sounds and the best photos I took of each stop and created said DVD. I finally finished up last Thusday night, but when I went to burn the disc, error. Apparently I screwed up somewhere. I spent awhile trying to figure it out but I didn't really get anywhere so instead I just put it on a flash memory card. That worked out well in the end.

My only dissapointment was that I failed to make an artist statement for the class DVD and my project was the only one left off of the DVD. Instead mine is on a seperate computer with headphones. Everybody else's plays in a loop that is projected on a wall. I like that mine is unique but I also wish that I could have had something that fit along with the rest of the classes projects because all their's look great together.

No comments: